Thursday, May 3, 2012

We are a Broken Church but We Will Heal

There really aren't words for what happened this morning during the debate on homosexuality in the church. After petitions were raised saying that we as United Methodists differ on this issue but still love each other, hateful words were shared. One of the translators even had to apologize before she began to translate the cruel harsh words said about lgbtq people that one delegate said. As we voted, we stood along the sides of the bar to be in solidarity with those outside of the bar. The petitions were then voted down and the UMC's stance on homosexuality did not change.

I don't really have much to say other than I am hurt mostly because of the hate expressed during the debate. It was totally uncalled for. Once recess was called, many people gathered at the center communion table inside the bar to weep, pray, and share communion at God's table where ALL are welcome.

I knew it was going to be bad. I knew hurtful things were going to be said, but I never knew how truly painful it would be to see the hurt across all of my friends' faces. I saw this one young man from Tennessee  just sobbing and walking around, not knowing where to go. He had no friends from home who stood with him to comfort him. The was what hurt the most. That this person was in so much pain that he did not even know what to do and had no one there to tell him it was going to be ok. I went over to him and rubbed his back, but there was nothing else I could do for him.

No matter what your stance is on this debate, I urge you to forget it and just pray. Pray for the people in pain. Pray for the people who said hurtful things. Pray for everyone at General Conference and for other United Methodists across the world.

If you want to know more specifics, click the links below. I have no more words except to say I am not giving up on God's call to minister in the United Methodist Church because of this. God put me in this place for a reason and if I, along with others, run away, the necessary change will not be able to happen. After all, "If God is for us, who can be against us?" Amen.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/umcommunications/6993215700/

http://www.gc2012conversations.com/2012/05/03/umr-gay-rights-protesters-cause-early-lunch-break/?utm_source=GC2012Conversations&utm_medium=twitter

1 comment:

  1. This is a sad day for the so-called UNITED Methodist church. There is nothing "united" about rejecting people as God's children. Shame on those who voted against inclusion.

    ReplyDelete